Text Size a a PrintPrint this page

Children - protection

What you can do when the Department for Child Protection is involved with your family because of concerns it has for your children.  Factors courts consider when making decisions about children. The difference between a child representative in the Children's Court, and an independent children's lawyer in the Family Court.


Family law and children at risk of harm

Some children are exposed to violence and are victims of child abuse. Both family law and protection and care laws focus on protecting children from harm and the risk of harm. When the Family Court appoints an independent children's lawyer.   More...

Child representatives in the Children's Court

A child representative is a lawyer who acts for your child in a Children's Court protection and care case in much the same way that a lawyer acts for any person in court. In some cases your child has a chance to say what he or she wants to happen in the protection and care case.  More...


Decisions of the Department for Child Protection

This information is for a child, or parent, or other relative, or foster carer who has a complaint about, or disagrees with a decision of the Department for Child Protection (DCP). It covers the review of care plan decisions and how to contact the Advocate for Children in Care.  More...


Protection and care matters

Protection and care matters involve the Department for Child Protection (DCP). The DCP is a Western Australian government department with authority to remove a child from their family if it considers that the child is in need of protection.  More...

 Last reviewed: 01/09/2010

Last Modified: 09/09/2010


The material displayed on this page is intended for information only. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia believes that the information provided is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.